Superfoods is a term we hear often in the media and at times it can be difficult to determine which one’s are worth adding to our diets. Spirulina is one superfood and ingredient that is worth adding because of its many amazing benefits. Besides only having 10 calories per serving, this blue-green algae is known for being one of the greatest superfoods in the world and for its nutrient dense and healing properties.
Below are 5 reasons to take spirulina:
1. Spirulina is an excellent source of protein. Spirulina contains 60 – 70% protein (depending on the brand you purchase). It is a complete protein which means that is contains all of the essential amino acids our bodies require to synthesize proteins.
2. Spirulina is one of the highest sources of vitamin B12. It contains 45% of your daily value of B12. Vitamin B12 is essential for metabolic functions, keeping the nervous system healthy, and making red blood cells.
3. Spirulina is rich in antioxidants. It is extremely high in beta-carotene which is the antioxidant that our bodies convert into vitamin A. Vitamin A is needed for healthy, teeth, skin, and eyes. Spirulina is also rich in vitamin E and chlorophyll.
4. It is very alkalizing. Spirulina aids in reducing acidity in our body. If our bodies are overloaded with acidity from foods such as animal products or coffee, they can become breeding grounds for inflammation.
5. It is loaded with minerals. Spirulina contains phosphorus, calcium, iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, chromium, and potassium. Spirulina is also a blood builder due to its content of iron, chlorophyll, and phycocyanin.
Spirulina is perfect to add to your smoothies, juices, or sprinkle on your food. Personally I have noticed a difference in how I feel since adding spirulina to my diet. I have more energy throughout my day and I feel that I have greater mental clarity. I add spirulina to my smoothies or I like to enjoy it as an energy drink before a work out or yoga class. Simply add one teaspoon of spirulina to a glass of coconut water and mix with a spoon.
You can find spirulina in your local health food store and you can buy it in powder form or as tablets. I like powder form the best and my favorite brand is Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica. This brand’s spirulina is grown in a bio-secure zone, pesticide, herbicide, and GMO free, and it taste’s the best out of many other brands!
I would love to hear from you in the comments below! Do you take spirulina and have you noticed a difference in your health?
Lots of love!
Filed in: Health and Wellness