Chia seeds are one of my favorite superfoods. These tiny seeds are packed with essential nutrients, gluten-free, and just a small amount added to your meals goes a long way! Below are the top 7 amazing health benefits of chia seeds.
7 Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- Very high in Omega-3′s (even more than flax seeds!)
- Balance blood sugar (when you add water to chia seeds and let sit for 30 minutes, a gel forms. Researchers suggest that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, thus carbohydrates will not break down as fast and the seeds will provide lasting energy and balance blood sugar.)
- High in calcium (they offer 3 to 6 times more calcium than milk, per serving!)
- A complete protein.
- High in fiber.
- Contain antioxidants (this also allows for the chia seeds to be stored for long periods of time without going bad.)
- Loaded with essential vitamins and trace minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and niacin.
Chia seeds are very versatile in cooking and preparing as well. I like to blend some into my green smoothie to keep me feeling full until lunch. They can be added to teas, salad dressing, pancake batter, oatmeal, soup (to thicken), or granola. Be creative! You can also mix one teaspoon of chia seeds with a quarter cup of water to make an egg substitute for baking. Chia pudding is also a great way to enjoy a healthy and delicious dessert or breakfast. I am working on a recipe for chia pudding so stay tuned!
You can find chia seeds at any health food store or the organic section at your local grocery store. Try adding some to one of your dishes this week to reap the many benefits!
No related posts.
Filed in: Health and Wellness